We Need Each Other
by Jana Kennedy-Spicer on March 5th, 2015

Speak Life

Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless.
Mother Teresa

​The months of stress and conflict and arguments and battles had taken its toll.

The encumbrance of all the negativity and anger and hurt was weighing heavy and frankly, I was feeling overwhelmed, suffocated and … alone.

Almost a year earlier, I had to gird myself as I was hurled into war to fight an enemy I could have never imagined.

The army of friends I had previously enjoyed slowly then rapidly dissolved; most choosing only to silently observe from the sidelines, their departure left me feeling … abandoned.

Lord!  I cried, I just need a word, one word, a nice word, an encouraging word, a happy word.  A word to know that someone else sees me here, that I’m not down in this pit … forgotten.

alone. abandoned. forgotten.

Have you been there? Are you there right now?
Have you felt that? Are you feeling it right now?

​“Therefore, let us encourage one another, build up one another.”
I Thessalonians 5:11

​Birthdays in our home were normally fun times.  Parties were planned with fun and unique themes, the house was brightly decorated and the cake graciously made.  Friends and family would fill the house with laughter and love, a true celebration!

But not this year.

Lord! I just need a word, one word, a nice word, an encouraging word, a happy word.  I’m drowning here!

As I shuffled through the mountain of bills and past due notices on the counter, one pink envelope was peeking through from underneath the pile.

a birthday card.  a kind word.  a life preserver.

Have you been there?
Have you felt that?

​“A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in a setting of silver.”
Proverbs 25:11

​That kind word, that simple card, that moment it took to send, that remembrance of me was indeed like “apples of gold in a setting of silver”.

Lord! Thank you for sending their kind word.  Thank you for ensuring me I am not alone.  Thank you for reminding me that you see me, see my needs and meet every one!

It is said that we should meet each other with kindness because we do not always know the battle another is fighting.  I would add that we do not always know the impact just a few kind words can have on someone’s battle worn spirit.

Is there someone you see struggling today?  Someone you know fighting a battle? Has someone been on your heart, in your thoughts?

Connect with them today – send a card, a message, a text, a phone call – let them know they are not alone.  Toss them a life preserver.

speak hope. speak love. speak life.

​Well it's crazy to imagine,
Words from our lips as the arms of compassion,
Mountains crumble with every syllable.
Hope can live or die.

So speak Life, speak Life.
To the deadest darkest night.
Speak life, speak Life.
When the sun won't shine and you don't know why.
Look into the eyes of the brokenhearted;
Watch them come alive as soon as you speak hope,
You speak love, you speak...
You speak Life

Toby Mac

We need each other, I know I need you ... thank you for being my Soul Friend.

Blessings
Jana Kennedy-Spicer is a blogger, graphic artist, Bible teacher and speaker passionate about inspiring and encouraging women on their daily walk with Christ.
Read Jana's testimony.

​I'm linking up today with Author and Proverbs 31 speaker Suzanne Eller over at her place, for #livefreeThursday.  Would love for you to join us!

Posted in Live Free Thursday, Gracious Words    Tagged with words, I Thessalonians, kind, proverbs, speak

Libby - March 5th, 2015 at 1:53 PM
Yes Jana, I've been there. I've been there when I thought I couldn't get another breath my heart was so heavy. I've also been there when God sent a hug through a thoughtful or timely word, or a scripture, or a phone call. Thank you for sharing these thoughts today. I think to some degree, we have all been there.
Jana - March 5th, 2015 at 10:04 PM
Thank you for stopping by Libby and for your sweet words of encouragement. Blessings, Jana
Christine Duncan - March 5th, 2015 at 2:41 PM
Jana, yes, one encouraging word and our hearts lift! Thank goodness His Word is full to the brim with loving words from the Father. So grateful I got to connect today on #livefreeThursday! May the God of all Wonders bless you bigger than big this week!
Jana - March 6th, 2015 at 2:23 PM
Thank you Christine for your encouragement today! Blessings!
Ellen Chauvin - March 5th, 2015 at 2:51 PM
So true, Jana...one kind word can make all the difference in the world! Beautiful post! Let's speak life! Joining you today from #livefree!
Jana - March 6th, 2015 at 2:27 PM
Thanks for stopping by Ellen! You are such a blessing!
Bevy @ Treasured Up and Pondered - March 6th, 2015 at 5:59 AM
Hello! My first time commenting here, because I only recently found your blog - although I have been following Sweet to the Soul on Facebook for a long time.

You're posts are always SO encouraging... and your photos with verses, perfect!!

I can so relate to this post. It happened for me just the other day!! A sweet card in the mail - someone desiring to be intentional in relationships and it was so timely!! So needed. Then, I reached out to a friend via a phone call (I left a message!) but, again.. unknown to me, at the time, it was so timely.

This post just resonates with me... Yes! to speaking life.
Jana - March 6th, 2015 at 2:25 PM
Hi Bevy! Thank you for following on facebook. The blog is new!
And thank you for speaking life into your friend. Such a blessing.
Hope you come back often! Blessings Soul Friend
Lisa - March 6th, 2015 at 6:14 PM
Your post reminds me of a song by Toby Mac called "Speak Life"!! Our words are so incredibly powerful. We can build others up or tear them down. Thanks for the inspiration. There is much JOY in encouraging others on this journey of faith. We were not meant to walk it alone. God bless you. Saw your link on Women Leading Women on FB.
GGMandy - March 9th, 2017 at 4:07 PM
Hi Jana! I'm your neighbor over on Suzanne Eller's Link-up.

I could feel every word of your writing as my husband and I have recently been going through a similar traumatic story. But oh how God blesses us just at the right time with a word of encouragement or a financial gift that meets a need. He is a great God!