My Greatest Purpose
by Jodie Barrett on January 20th, 2016

Cold air held me in bed longer than normal.

My phone buzzed and I looked to see the message coming from a friend. She’s accustomed to me being up by now. So am I for that matter!

My blankets were warm, my body still seemed tired. A few more minutes couldn’t hurt.

Fifteen minutes passed and I made the stiff stretch out of bed with an active brain asking deep questions as I contemplated the day ahead and the choices that would undoubtedly arise. But one question stopped me in my tracks. One question just seemed deep and even a bit jagged to my tender heart.

“What is my greatest purpose”?

Whoa. That’s a doozie for a brain still in need of coffee, eyes still sticky with sleep and feet stumbling to find slippers.

Where did that come from? Interestingly enough the answer seemed near in my thoughts.

Deep Relationship.
Deep relationship is my greatest purpose.
Deep relationship with my Savior!

As difficult as it sometime, it is absolutely my greatest purpose. To know Christ. To know Him deeply. To be in deep relationship with my Savior!

Pondering my answer on the way to the ladies room another question arises. If this is indeed my greatest purpose, why is it sometime so challenging? Why do I fail to go #souldeep as my sweet friend, Jana has reminded me so many times? Scratching the surface is so unsatisfying but often where I find myself. Not to mention thoughts that take me to a time when my heart  was a dry and hardened mess. Considering the goodness of God, considering His great love for us, how could I ever have functioned with a hard heart toward my Jesus?

Some memories are hard to swallow.
Driving my mind away from that parking place!

Yes, I ran. Yes, I was defiant. Yes, my selfishness and insecurity overruled.
Ugly sin riddled my life as my “heart pursued it’s own gain” (Ezekiel 33:31).
Praise God for His grace and mercy!
Praise Him for His faithfulness! While I pursued the world He waited with open arms for my return. There’s a beautiful parking place for my heart and mind.

The room is still dark when I pick up my robe and wander out to find my real resting place for the morning. A place with my bible and my Jesus. My treasure seeking heart is ready draw near to the rich love of The King. My heart anticipates His goodness. The same heart that once hardened and ran is prepared to run into the warmth of God’s arms and receive new blessings as the sun illuminates the morning!

Some memories are hard to swallow.
But that’s not my parking place.

The promises of the scriptures hold my attention, fill me with hope and lift my weary body up and out of bed to deepen the most precious relationship my heart will ever know. Adoration spills out for the One who gave me a new heart and new spirit. Nothing on earth can compare!

Relationship with my Jesus. That’s my greatest purpose. All else flows from that foundation.
How about you? Are you a weary woman with a heart in search of purpose today? Rest here with me. Lift praise to the One who offers a new heart and a new spirit.

“I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; I will take the heart of stone out of your flesh and give you a heart of flesh.”  Ezekiel 36:26

​When cold air holds you in bed a little longer, when the angst of the world grabs you, take a moment to assess your heart. Embrace the new one freely given. Venture out of bed and take time to seek the treasure of His word as you value a #souldeep relationship with Jesus.

Faithfully Following
Today's blog post is part of our #SoulDeep Daily Scripture Reading series on #newlife

​Jodie Barrett is a wife, mother, homemaker, office manager, teacher and speaker!
She enjoys using the gifts that God has given her combined with the wisdom gained from the Word and life experiences to motivate and encourage women to strengthen their faith and fitness.
She resides in the small town of Roanoke Rapids, NC and attends Calvary Baptist Church.
Catch up with Jodie on her blog at Faithfully-Following.com

Posted in not categorized    Tagged with no tags

Jodie - January 20th, 2016 at 7:36 AM
Jana, What a blessing to know so many of us are knee deep in the same scriptures! Thank you for leading the way with your Daily Bible Reading plan. It's been a joy to my heart each day.
Jana - January 21st, 2016 at 2:35 AM
Oh sweet soul friend, I am so thankful to God for you! Thank you for encouraging us to treasure God's Word.
Amy - January 20th, 2016 at 9:09 AM
It is so hard sometimes to remember to seek our greatest purpose because so many things scream of their importance in our heads! Staying deep in the treasure of His word is what helps keep us pointed in the direction that we should be aimed. Thank you ladies for the encouragement and realness that you share to inspire in seeking a souldeep relationship with Christ!
Jodie - January 20th, 2016 at 2:11 PM
There are so many thing that scream and interfere. I'm so thankful for a God who pursues us relentlessly!
Jana - January 21st, 2016 at 2:37 AM
Amen! I'm a squirrel chaser! So thankful God loves and pursues me!
Cindy Krall - January 20th, 2016 at 2:02 PM
Love, love, love. "I don't need to park there." These are words that I will store and use because they are truth! Thank you for sharing Jodie and thank you for this beautiful space Jana. It is indeed sweet to the soul!
Jodie - January 20th, 2016 at 2:12 PM
Stayed in the parking lot of the past too long....moving forward by the grace of Jesus :)
Jana - January 21st, 2016 at 2:34 AM
I have spent way too much time in some parking lots! Thank you Jodie for this reminder that God can move us forward!
Susan B Mead - January 20th, 2016 at 3:02 PM
Beautiful. Soul deep indeed
Jodie - January 27th, 2016 at 5:11 PM
Kristine - January 20th, 2016 at 3:30 PM
Jesus - relationship with him is our greatest purpose. Amen! Wonderful Jodie, and thank you for the great lesson!
Jodie - January 21st, 2016 at 10:48 AM
Your welcome! Such a beautiful family here at Sweet to the Soul! Thank you, Jana, for bringing us all together!
Carmen Horne - January 21st, 2016 at 1:15 PM
Such a timely question for me, so many of us, "What is my greatest purpose?" I am reminded of something my counselor has said so many times to me and I quote it from Micah 6:8, "He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." "...walk humbly with your God.", #souldeep relationship.
Jodie - January 27th, 2016 at 5:10 PM
Micah 6...I love that you tied it to our purpose Carmen!
Betsy de Cruz - January 21st, 2016 at 2:17 PM
Jodie, this is such an encouraging word. We don't need to park our minds in the past. He makes all things new. Thanks for this encouragement to get into God's Word, to seek Him each morning. Beautiful.
Jodie - January 27th, 2016 at 5:11 PM
You encourage me as well Betsy! Thank you for always being an encouragement.