If you find yourself anxious or overwhelmed, journaling your thoughts is a great way to improve clarity and focus.
I would also testify that Scripture is holy medicine for one’s soul. When these two mind and soul tonics are combined, our anxious thoughts can be replaced with the calming assurances of God’s Word.
Here are a few benefits I have realized from the time spent writing Scripture.
Calms anxiety - as your focus switches from anxious and worrisome thoughts to concentration on each written word of Scripture. Slow down even more by contemplating the meaning of each word.
Aids in memorization - as you are more intently focused on the words when writing instead of just reading. Is Scripture memory your goal? Then write the same Scripture verse several times until you can write it from memory.
Improves memory recall - immersing your mind in Scriptures allows for them to be more easily recalled in moments of distress or need.
Growth in understanding - as time is spent with God, the Holy Spirit aids us in discernment of God’s Word. Want to learn more? Spend a few extra minutes looking up each verse in a Bible Commentary or similar resource and notate your learnings.
1. Grab a blank journal, spiral notebook or blank index cards.
2. A simple pen or pencil will do.
3. Select which Scripture to write.
- Choose a book of the Bible or a section and determine how much you will write and how frequent.
- Research Scriptures related to a specific topic you want to study.
- Use one of our Scripture Reading Lists, and write a scripture a day during the summer.
1. Devote a full page in your journal for each Scripture and use a creative lettering style to write out the verse.
2. Add a sketch or doodles or colorful stickers to the page.
3. Use colorful markers, pencils, pens or watercolor paints on your journal page.
Carmen says, "The Holy Spirit always amazes me how He places Scriptures on just the right days. God supernaturally works in our lives. Just think, after a year of writing (at a minimum) twenty-one verses each month, we will have full notebooks of biblical truth."
Blessings Soul Friends,
- Psalm 119:11
- Colossians 3:16
- Hebrews 4:12
Thank you ladies for all you do. I enjoy writing out verses and breaking them down through prayer, my strong’s concordance and my favorite commentators. Then I write out a short devotion and text it to 9 friends. Several of them do the same to me. I use your scripture writing plans often. I look forward to getting out of bed every morning to hear from God. Blessings on you. Love the magazine, too. 💗
Oh, Jen that is so encouraging! Many blessings soul friend.